Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Music Compositions

These are some music files I created. They are midi so they won't take much time to download. They were played on my cheap midi keyboard and recorded on the computer using Cakewalk software. There is no editing done on these files - as I never took the time to learn Cakewalk besides the basics - so the quality isn't that great and there are lots of mistakes, in fact, one or two of them don't even have an ending. There are no cool back-up effects; this is just raw electronic keyboard sound, i.e. "plain".

I never finished it, but I was once composing a small minuet. You can hear how unfinished it is by the abrupt ending.

Unnamed Minuet - Sophia W.

In this second file I was improvising (i.e. playing around or exploring):

Improvisation #1 - "Nature" - Sophia W.

This last file is another improvisation. The beginning is kinda rough as I was just looking for the right feeling.

Improvisation #2 - Unnamed - Sophia W.

3 comments:

Alexander M Zoltai said...

Marvelous!

I'm not saying that because you're my friend, I'm saying it because I was raised with music in my life, played numerous instruments, sang, and wrote a bit...

No matter the provisional halts, no matter the lack of endings, these are MUSIC--pure and sweet!!

I especially liked the the strings in Improvisation #2--the effect to me was of breathing; Remarkable!!!

~ Alex from Our Evolution

Sophia said...

Thank you so much, my friend. I remember the feelings of getting lost while improvising. It was a sense of losing myself. I don't improvise music anymore but I get the same loss-of-self feeling when I make fractals. I always call it "going into the zone".

Maybe it is this zone that attracts artists, poets and musicians.

When you are being creative, what does it feel like?

Alexander M Zoltai said...

"When you are being creative, what does it feel like?"

Interesting... Your question was received by me in the throes of my ramping-up to a major phase of fresh creativity. I'm currently in the oft-felt stage of anxiety...

I would propose my stages of creativity follow the course of:

* Dissatisfaction
* Exploration
* Exhilaration
* Meditation
* Expectation
* Anxiety
* Hard-Work (this phase spans about 85% of the full cycle...)
* Fulfillment and back to
--Dissatisfaction

Of course, if I eat the wrong things or don't get enough exercise or fall into an externally-induced emotional funk, it becomes more like:

* Extreme Dissatisfaction
* Frantic Exploration
* Exhausting Exhilaration
* Weird Meditation
* Cloudy Expectation
* Sharp Anxiety
* Slogging Hard-Work
* Blessed Fulfillment and back to
much less Dissatisfaction...

~ Alex from Our Evolution