Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Contract... Expand...

The fog is starting to clear. I'm going to work on coming out again. (We seriously draw inwards at times.) Watching all the festivities today has helped, and the hopefulness I feel for the world has helped me lift up out of the fog some.

Here's a clipping someone posted in the Rosicrucianism Yahoo group I belong to. I'm not Christian, but what I want to point out with the clipping is that when it feels like all hope is lost and we're at the very bottom of the well, we can cry for God or the angels to help us, whoever or whatever God is, whether God is the Universe and beyond, or our imagination, or a wise man sitting on a throne. If God is Allah, Jesus, YHVH, Buddha, Krishna, our Higher Selves, Masters, Angels, Everything, Nothing, You, Me, it's OK to ask for help. Maybe all we need to do is finally just surrender when we can't struggle anymore.

Anyway, enough of my chat. Here's the clipping:

St. Antony the Great once was living in the desert. The demons were giving him a hard time, beat him up, left him in a coma. Eventually folks found the body and carried him to the church, planning a funeral in the morning. In the middle of the night he got up and went back to his cave. And immediately the mean and nasties were at him again. Finally he called out in desperation, "Lord, help me!" and immediately Christ appeared and the demons scattered. "Lord, where were you when I needed you?" "I was always here, but I wanted to see what you were made of. As soon as you called (rather than relying on your own struggle) I am present."

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/hesychasm1.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sophia,

Kinda reminiscent of that "Footprints" poster.