Tuesday, April 10, 2007

My Mother is a Wise Woman

... and she doesn't even know it.

My mother has little knowledge of my spiritual beliefs. I really dislike using the word "beliefs" because it can be so limiting. Actually, beliefs are limiting. I believe we should all keep an open mind. See? I can't even say that sentence without using the word "believe". And there is that word "should", again. I should not should on myself or other people! How about this, "I think it would be great if we could keep an open mind!" Do you like that better? I do.

Anyway, back to what I was saying. My mother has very little knowledge of the choices I have made in life spiritually, although she does know that I have consciously claimed to not be a Christian. Really, I've ceased claiming to be anything. I do, however, call myself a "seeker". When I told my mother that I was thinking about going to a Unitarian church, she asked, "Why don't you go to a Methodist church?" I explained to my my mother that Unitarians are normally very open to others' beliefs and philosophies. I told her that I wish to learn from all paths, and that I see value in all religions, even though I don't choose to follow any particular path. "Basically, Mom, it's like this.... I am what you could call a 'seeker'." This conversation happened a few weeks ago.

Then last night, we were on the phone discussing my mother's current and future job plans. She has been working for the same place for quite a while now, and loves working there, but her job security isn't that great because it has been mentioned that they might begin to outsource their programmers. My mother is therefore looking for another job. She said she doesn't want to leave her job because there is the possibility they'll never decide to outsource, but at the same time she wants to find another job where she will be more secure. Then, she said something that has more wisdom in it than I am sure she realizes. She said, "Oh well. Que sera sera." This means, "Whatever will be will be."

8 comments:

A.V. Michaels said...

I have a similar story about my mom. She doesn't really understand where I am spiritually even though I try to explain it to her; however I've noticed, despite her set-in-stone ways, she is beginning to come around philosophically towards my point of view. Funny, isn't it? And our moms do have an effect us no matter how old we are, don't they.

Unknown said...

My own mother was adeeply spiritual woman. She followed the old religion and was very wise. I am also a seeker, a beginner really.

Anonymous said...

Our Mothers are very wise. I too am blessed with a Mother who expressed much wisdom in the little things she said and did while I was growing up.
"to be" that is what is all about.

Alexys Fairfield said...

You grew up learning from your mother about life, now maybe it's time to teach your mother what you have learned from life.

Sophia said...

Hi A.V. and welcome! Thanks for the visit and the comment. Yes, it seems my parents still affect me greatly even though I am almost 30 years old. I still want to try to please them and worry about how they feel about my branching out to other beliefs than those they raised me with. My mother is more understanding, and I haven't even begun to explain things to my father, and where he is concerned I have simply told myself it's best to let him go on believing that I am still a Christian. I know it would break his heart were I to tell him I was otherwise. I am thankful to at least be able to be open somewhat to my mother. Since growing up and moving out of the house in 1997, I've been able to talk to her about things. I like having this sort of relationship with her.

Thanks for the story about your mother. I am very interested in hearing about others' experiences.

Sophia said...

Leighton, your mother sounds like she was a real treasure! She raised you well. :)

Sophia said...

Mark, we are lucky to be able to find wisom in everyday things. When we're younger, the wisdom hides or we fail to recognize it, but as we grow older, it reveals itself to us and we are able to show more gratitude and appreciation.

Sophia said...

Alexys, I hope she can learn from me. That's why I'll only tell her a little bit at a time, so as not to overwhelm her.