Thursday, November 15, 2007

Matter, Life, Mind, Spirit

"Life evolves out of Matter, Mind out of Life, because they are already involved there: Matter is a form of veiled Life, Life a form of veiled Mind. May not Mind be a form and veil of a higher power, the Spirit, which would be supramental in its nature? Man's highest aspiration would then only indicate the gradual unveiling of the Spirit within, the preparation of a higher life upon earth." ~_The Future Evolution of Man_, by Sri Aurobindo, Chapter I - The Human Aspiration

What would Spirit want to do with mind?

What exists that has no purpose?

2 comments:

Vincent said...

"What would Spirit want to do with Mind?"

A strange question reminiscent of "What would Jesus do?" It always astonishes me when representatives of religions claim to know the will of their God. It's enough for me (and sometimes seems too much) to know what I am to do!

"What exists that has no purpose?"

This is a little ambiguous. Mosquitoes have a purpose: to live and reproduce and for all I know to have fun too. I don't have a purpose for mosquitoes though.

Anonymous said...

i would say unify it. interestingly most of our mind are partitioned into like and dislike, conscious (i want to experience it, and unconcious EEEEK keep this away from my active mental activities)

the unconditioned mind is no different than the self -ramakrishna