Thursday, November 22, 2007

Khalil Gibran - The Prophet - Chapter One

I felt bold tonight, so I did a longer reading. This is the first chapter of Khalil Gibran's _The Prophet_. I followed Seigfried's recommendation and used mp3Gain software, so make sure your volume isn't turned up too high or you may be in for a surprise; it's not as quiet as usual. Also, I'm sorry, but I sound like a drone when I read. I'm not quite comfortable enough yet for longer casual chatting on microphones, so my introduction is short. Oh, and as you can tell, I worry too much about what people think of me.

Happy Thanksgiving! I have so much to be thankful for. I've never said thank you to any of my readers. You've taken an interest in my blog, and therefore also in my life and my spiritual journey. By being here, you've become a part of my journey. Some of you have made yourself known to me by either commenting or emailing or both. We have forged some nice friendships. I have spent a long time - almost three years - looking for a spiritual teacher. When I set this blog up in February, you all became my teachers, and I have learned a lot from you through our interactions. I may never find a personal teacher to call my own, but who needs one when there is such a knowledgeable circle of people who not only take an interest in what you go through in your day-to-day life, but also take an active role in that life. Some of you are quiet and say nothing at all, quietly watching, maybe with interest, maybe with disbelief that some crazy woman openly reveals her innermost thoughts, but still, you are here. This blog, your blogs and the interactions that go on in comments and emails (when I keep up with them) are a big part of my life. I mostly live a private life, and I don't socialize much, because I know of no one in my locale who shares the same interests with me, or who would even understand me, but my social needs are met here, online, and who cares if that makes me a nerd or a recluse or even if it means I'm addicted to the Internet.

Anyway, I'm not alone. Thank you.

(OK, end of sappy presentation. You may resume your activities!)

8 comments:

Alexander M Zoltai said...

Bravo !

~ Alex

Rachel said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you! If I weren't so stuffed full of turkey and potatoes I'd be posting something similar on my own blog. I think I'm about to take a nap.


Keep on blogging!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Sophia for your fine reading of a beautiful book, and for sharing your heart in this post and so many others through out the years. I am grateful that I met you.

Unknown said...

I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving. I did. It was simple and not a lot of cooking involved. A nice time with my daughter.

We sure do have something in common when it comes to socializing. But even online I can get quiet, both writing and commenting. I feel like I'm more understood online. It's nice to know we're not alone, isn't it?:)

V said...

I might try some ventriloquism someday. I seem to be less flexible nowadays. I am crystalizing.
It must be the missing wisdom teeth.
How about doing a complete book? Alice, perhaps. ;>)

Jim said...

I have read him, Gibran, very helpful. Jim.

Jim said...

I enjoyed the reading, hope to hear more one day soon.

Vincent said...

Your idea of spreading your net wide and learning from everyone sounds much more sensible than seeking a single spiritual teacher, Sophia. That is a myth you know. There aren't any - I mean there are not any genuine ones. The world is not like that. You are equal to everyone else. The system of gurus is corrupt when it comes to spiritual matters. (You might have an English teacher or art teacher or dancing teacher though: that works fine)