Saturday, November 3, 2007

Life Experience and Knowledge

I have lately been a little mundane on my blog, and for that I apologize. I am simply an unenlightened human with a long way to go before I ever achieve anything remotely similar to spiritual maturity. I have learned that some of you have become uninterested in my blog due to my lack of spiritual posts in the recent days. I would argue that I'm not really out to gain anyone's acceptance and that I'm just here to be myself, but I do enjoy the interpersonal relationships formed here and I wouldn't want to run anyone off by my banal posts.

With that said, here is a clipping from a book I've been skimming through tonight.

THE MEANING OF LIFE--this is the eternal theme of human meditation. All philosophical systems, all religious teachings strive to find and give to men the answer to this question. Some say that the meaning of life is in service, in the surrender of self, in self-sacrifice, in the sacrifice of everything, even life itself. Others declare that the meaning of life is in the delight of it, relieved against "the expectation of the final horror of death." Some say that the meaning of life is perfection, and the creation of a better future beyond the grave, or in future lives for ourselves. Others say that the meaning of life is in the approach to non-existence: still others, that the meaning of life is in the perfection of the race, in the organization of life on earth; while there are those who deny the possibility of even attempting to know its meaning.

The fault of all these explanations consists in the fact that they all attempt to discover the meaning of life outside of itself, either in the future of humanity, or in some problematical existence beyond the grave, or again in the evolution of the Ego throughout many successive incarnations--always in something outside of the present life of man. But if instead of thus speculating about it, men would simply look within themselves, then they would see that in reality the meaning of life is not after all so obscure. IT CONSISTS IN KNOWLEDGE. All life, through all its facts, events and incidents, excitements and attractions, inevitably leads us TO THE KNOWLEDGE OF SOMETHING. All life-experience is KNOWLEDGE.
~TERTIUM ORGANUM, THE THIRD CANON OF THOUGHT, A KEY TO THE ENIGMAS OF THE WORLD, by P.D. Ouspenksy, CHAPTER XVIII

I think the important point to take note of here, is that we err when we attempt to see outside all of this. There is no outside. It's all in here, in this. Everything is inclusive. I say "we" because I have made this error myself.

Nothing happens that is not of everything that is.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me it seems important to have meaning "in" life.

btw
It is nice to see your blue "I'm online" even though I can not talk to you at least I know that you are there now.

Sophia said...

It is important to me to have this meaning, too, here and now, yet I feel that this meaning could be enhanced with further knowledge of the mysteries of life.

Yes, sometimes I forget to log in to Skype. I'm not in the habit, yet. Why can't you talk? Do you have dial-up?

Anonymous said...

Hello Sophia,

Yes I have dial up and here in the country-side we do not even have full speed dial-up.

Do you have any examples of what might make life more meaningful?

Sophia said...

Mossy,

I gave-up dial-up earlier this year. Do you have any options available to you, like satellite, for instance? Since you live in the country, I'm guessing cable is out of the picture.

I don't know if what would make life more meaningful for me would make it more meaningful for others, but I think to know for certain that I'm living for a purpose would help, and to know what that purpose is. Maybe there doesn't have to be a purpose.

Anonymous said...

This moment needs to have a certain amount of significance in order for me to want to be in it.

For me that signifcance can come from appreciating what is here.

Sophia said...

Even if we don't want to be in this moment, we still are.

I know there are some moments I don't want to be in. Those are the moments when I can't find anything to appreciate.

These moments don't happen very often lately, though.

Anonymous said...

Some people here have fast connections but they are quite expensive.

Perhaps the purpose is to experience what is before us. I don't think that we can know for sure for a long time.

Anonymous said...

It is true that we are always in this moment. I like that point of view. I will try to keep it in mind.

Sophia said...

I don't think so, either. While I'm waiting to find out, though, I'm looking for hints. :)

Sophia said...

Yes. It's kind of funny and kind of sad, but in our heads we spend a lot of time on yesterday and tomorrow when really the only time that exists is now. I don't see anything wrong with planning ahead and fond memories, but what causes suffering are regrets and fears.

Anonymous said...

Yes. This is the main problem that man faces.

Anonymous said...

We can also enjoy pleasant memories while being aware that we are in this moment.

Sophia said...

Yes. This is an ability like walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I hope that someday it will be that easy.

Thank you for the real-time chat. I hope that we will be on-line at the same time again.

Good night Sophia.

Sophia said...

I am tired so I am going to go to bed now. It was nice talking to you tonight.

Goodnight.

Sophia said...

Interesting. We both posted our messages at the same time. :)

Anonymous said...

Written at exactly the same minute!

V said...

KNOWLEDGE leads to intellectualization of SOCIETY. And SOCIETY is EGO. Nothing wrong with THAT. THAT is TH-IS.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading through that string of comments.

When I found your blog, the recent posts were poetry.

I like other's views on spirituality and this is what I read the most, but it's nice to get to know the "real person" too.

We all have more than one interest and you should feel free to write about anything your heart desires, whenever you wish.

I'll always pop up here and there to catch up. :)

Sophia said...

Siegfried,

Intellectualizing is part of evolution. I'm going to try to start to leave things in the hands of evolution. It can only go in one direction, and that is the direction it goes in.

I've been wondering if all of evolution will eventually lead to mass enlightenment. If it does, then it will happen anyway, so we won't have to try so hard. Even though I think this, I still want to do more work.

Sophia said...

Sibbia,

Thanks for the visit. I'm hoping to catch-up on your blog, too. In the beginning of the year I was keeping up with blogs regularly, but then around June or July things on my end started picking up and I've had less time to do things that I enjoy doing, like reading blogs. I've gotten behind on a lot of them, and the authors probably hate me by now!

It's better than being idle, though.

Anonymous said...

I did not read this book but I read Ouspensky's "In Search of the Miraculous" which is the story of his spirtual search. I found it was very enjoyable.

Sophia said...

I have that book. Actually, it is really my husband's. He's had it for years, back in the days when he read stuff like that. It's on my list of books to read. It's encouraging to know you enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Ooo, I'll have to read the books!

Have you thought of adding a forum? These comments are useful! :)

And Sophia, we all know life (and our activity levels) have its up and downs.

What I like best about other blogs like this one is knowing there *are* many other people who care about the same things.

And I'm still pondering that thought passage btw.

Sophia said...

Hi Sibbia,

Actually, on my old blog I had a forum, but not many people used it so I took it down. But then again, this blog gets more visitors than my old blog did.

It's a good idea. I may add a forum. This might give visitors a chance to talk amongst each other as well as talk to me like they do here in comments. Forums are built better for person-to-person interaction, I think. I like the blog comments, but I think conversation might flourish in a forum. I'll look into this. Thanks for bringing it up.

I've slowed down quite a bit on blogging since a few months ago. Things at work have been busy, and I used to do the majority of my blogging from work! *sigh* There are not enough hours in the day.

jon be me said...

Sophi, I love your blog just the way it is....

Meaning of life? Please define life?

:)