Friday, August 24, 2007

Hot Days of Summer

Temperatures have been reaching over 100 degrees where I live. Even the dogs don't want to be outside for long. I have spent most of my summer days indoors, however, thankfully in early August I started swimming in our pool. Since that first day, I've been swimming almost every day. Last year I didn't get in the pool twice, and maybe not even once, but I can't remember. This year I bought some toys to make pool time more enjoyable. One is called a "toypedo". It's this hard little torpedo shaped toy that quickly glides through the water. It's fun to shoot back and forth to a pool partner. The other is a king cool lounge that floats around on top of the water. This is great for those lazy moments. I really don't like to be so lazy in a pool, so I spend time swimming around, going underwater and watching the sun rays dance on the bottom. If I float on top of the water while looking down, the moving sun rays make me feel as though I'm having an out-of-body experience.

This image on the left shows the "toypedo". Ours is the one on the bottom.

This is where I spend a LOT of time. It gets me out of the house. Otherwise I'd be on the computer all day, feeding my Internet addiction.

Below is a stock photo of the King Cool Lounge. No, the model is not me.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. Your toypedo looks like fun. Stay cool!

Anonymous said...

Hey that's really beautiful!

I envy you. I love to swim and I am finding difficult to get enough exersize these days. A pool would be perfect.

Anonymous said...

Abundant cool sparkling water on a very hot day.
The attentive swimmer gazes in wonder as sun rays dance across the bottom
longing to become one of those rays and dance so gracefully at the speed of light.

Vincent said...

A lady of leisure! No wonder you have a writer's block. An oyster without enough grit to make a pearl.

Jim said...

You are better looking than the model, and your pool looks cool and relaxing.

Enjoy yourself girl.

Sophia said...

Thanks, Mark! May you enjoy the rest of your summer, too! If you don't have a pool, treat yourself to a nice time laying beneath the falling mists of a lawn sprinkler! (I remember playing with these as a child. They were fun!)

Sophia said...

Hi Mossy,

Don't be too envious. These pools require a lot of upkeep, which can be both hard work and expensive!

I thought you always went hiking? Don't you do that anymore, or is it too hot right now?

Sophia said...

Mossy, that is so sublime! How do you get so good with words? Will you please pass on some of that talent to me so that I can write, too? :)

Another thing that is nice about swimming on a sunny day, is seeing my shadow on the bottom of the pool as I'm swimming around like a fish. Once, I looked down, as my arms and legs were spread out, floating on top of the water, and the shadow reminded me of a sea turtle.

Sophia said...

Vincent,

Hey, it takes hard work to swim back and forth across the pool! ;)

Sophia said...

Thanks, Jim. I don't know about looking better than the model, but the pool is indeed cool and relaxing. I'm something like a sissy, though, because getting into pool water is difficult for me. I have to tip-toe my way in. Everyone else can just jump in or walk right in. But I don't like rushing in to cool or cold water!

Anonymous said...

Cowabunga Dude!

Anonymous said...

We already know that you are a talented writer.

You do not have to wait for someone to rip your heart out before you can see it. Just watch and very likely soon you will see something meaningful. Write down a few ideas while you are seeing it and then later fill in the details.

Sophia said...

Mossy, once I thought about posting something as simple as a description of what I saw in front of me... two cups, sitting side by side, with a salt shaker nearby. I'm sure something could be said of that, but just what, I am unsure. :)