Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Anomalous Earth

They've been watching us
But they will not make contact
We still fight our wars

This is a senryu (a type of haiku) that I wrote today, based on the Zoo Hypothesis. One of the theories of the Zoo Hypothesis is that earth has been unable to make contact with intelligent alien life forms because we are still fighting wars. According to the hypothesis, earth could be monitored by aliens, in order for them to study us. Or, our planet is being kept in a "zoo or wilderness area". If there are alien beings in the universe that have been observing our planet, they could perhaps see our tendency to fight wars, and therefore perceive us as a threat, thinking it better to remain unacknowledged.

There is a song from the 90s that I think makes a good point, and it is related to the Zoo Hypothesis. It is by Milla Jevovich, called "The Alien Song (for Those Who Listen)".

I see a shining...
A sweeping from the clouds
A glimmer of hope
Is coming to feel our light
Oh look it's flashing
This life among the stars
Reaching out to know us
To feel our might
Oh...this restless hope in you
Please...try and help us
Stand on our own
As we stopped on this pavement
And saw your dying mind
Paper, for which you're killing brothers life
Help you, we cannot trust you
We cannot understand
Your people's proud destruction
Of their own land
Oh...we're flying on from you
We...will not stay to see your fate
Watch them fly away
Watch them fly away
See the lines across the sky
Watch them fly...away

I think that it is very possible that somewhere out in the universe there are alien life forms, even advanced intelligent alien life forms. I do not know how special humans are, but I believe it is at least imaginable that such life forms could contribute to the greater picture, adding even more diversity to the cosmic consciousness of which everything is. At the same time, I wonder if humans might really be special, and were put here in the middle of a giant universal matrix in which there is no other form of life. Why that should be, I am not sure. Perhaps this really is just a human experience, and living on planet earth is just one step of the journey.

What do you think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

4 comments:

Joe B said...

I imagine there is lots of other life out there...however, it is rather egotistical to think we are worth looking at for an extended period of time.

I've watched ant hills and really don't bother much after the first 2 or 3. Why should we be any different?

On the other hand, there always does need to be a beginning, why not us?

The lovely thing about is we really don't yet know. We can't ever know we are the only one since there are always more rocks to look under; but we could know tomorrow we aren't if something else drops in.

I am well aware of an unseen world that contains far more than what I see on the TV or in the newspaper. Just look at the popularity of TAPS.

It's nice to know we have so much distraction from the real task at hand:

Sit down
Shut Up
and
find out what you really know to be true.

(See your thread below on Jed McKenna)

Sophia said...

Hi Joe,

You're probably right. If an advanced intelligent alien civilization discovered us, their technology could be light years beyond ours, and we'd be little more than a bunch of ants, like you described.

Sometimes I wonder about the unseen world and its inhabitants, and I wish I could see them for myself. It's like I want proof that this life is not all there is, and to have something to take away the loneliness of being human. I believe in other existences, but I do not know that there are other existences. I just need to remember that even on earth there are all sorts of visible life forms; bugs, animals, plants, some of which seem completely alien as it is! (Look at a camelback cricket, for instance!)

I know about the distraction. It is very easy for me to become distracted. Maybe I'm subconsciously doing it in order to delay what lies ahead, as if the ego doesn't want to face its own death. I guess I should finish this book, huh!

Thanks for your comments! :)

Anonymous said...

I've always thought there HAD to be other intelligent life on different worlds!

How could there not be in an entire Universe full of galaxy after galaxy, another planet which sustains life?

What I wonder about is what form that life would take, what their values would be and how they care for their own planet.

Sophia said...

Sibbia,

I agree. I think if life can happen once, it can happen again!

There's probably some other life form out there wondering the same thing. :)