Saturday, July 5, 2008

Finding My Lost Roots and Another Forgotten Dream from July 5, 2008

I am very excited today. When I went to the mailbox there was a package with my name on it. It's so rare that I get REAL mail. It's from my great uncle, of who I know so little about. He lives less than an hour away yet I've only met him once when I was a child, so I do not remember him. I had sent a letter to him last week asking for some information about my grandmother, who died a couple years ago in a mental asylum. I have never met her, but for years I've wanted to know more about her. Sometimes I feel sad that I never had the chance to know her, but she wouldn't have been able to talk to me or notice me anyway, as she was catatonic from schizophrenia.

Anyway, for years my family tree and genealogy project have been incomplete without information from the paternal side of my family. I didn't have any names or anything with which to find more information. I've always wanted to know who I am, who my grandparents are or great grandparents, where they came from and so much more. I'll never be able to find out who my grandfather is, though. As far as I know, he was a bad man and it's best not to say more about that on this blog.

I found out that my great grandmother arrived here from Germany and didn't speak any English. That's all I know at this time, but I'm going to join some genealogy web sites to see if I can get any more information. I so badly want to know who my family is!

I also asked my uncle to tell me more about my grandmother. I want a piece of her history and life story so deeply. That's how I'll know her, even if I never met her. I can love her with what I have now, a black and white photograph of her and no tales about her. In his letter, my uncle promised to send me more information about my grandmother. I hope he does not forget. I want to know all about her.

The rest of the contents of the package were religious materials and information about vegetarianism. My great uncle is 69 and he and his wife are Seventh Day Adventists. They are also vegetarians and are into holistic medicines. I'm going to make an effort to get to know them better. It's never too late.

And on to another subject.... I was driving to the grocery store today when I remembered a fourth dream from last night. In real life, my dad had surgery just a few days ago to have his gallbladder taken out. Even though I've called him numerous times every day since his surgery, I have not been to visit him. In the dream, my dad called my husband and asked him, "Is Sophia all right?" He was asking because he was wondering why I hadn't been to visit him. This dream was trying to tell me that I need to visit my dad. So, I've made plans to go see him tomorrow, and when I go, I'll bring the package that my uncle sent me because I know he'd be interested in seeing it, too.

What a glorious day it has been! It's perfect. There's a smile in the sky and a smile on my face. Yay for sunshine and happiness.

Bye for now!

No comments: