Monday, October 1, 2007

Sophia in the Universe

This morning I found quite a penetrating letter written by Ken Wilber. I read it, and afterwards I closed my eyes and imagined in my mind that my consciousness is not just limited to the confines of my physical body. I envisioned that I was expanded, first as big as the room and then the nearby outdoors. I imagined I was also the mountains, and the roads, and all the people that were sitting close by. This is only a small sample of what the vastness of this really is. It is so far-reaching, limitless, infinite, that the universe itself is contained within it.

Mentally, I am imagining this. I can picture it, and can understand it intellectually. I believe it. The only thing that's keeping me back now is an experience of profound realization. I am waiting.

After having read this letter, I have decided that I will have to examine this Ken Wilber guy more closely. Before today, he was just a name to me, a name of a man that some regard as a spiritual teacher, and a man who has written books. That is all I know of him, before this.

Here you may read the letter yourself. Just copy and paste the words into a Word document, and on the menu, go to "edit", select "find" and replace all instances of "Sophia" with your name. If you have troubles doing this, send me an e-mail and I'll help you with it.

Ken Wilber • From You to Infinity in 3 Pages

What I am going to do in the following is simply "describe" the nondual Self right now as it is immediately seen. The following is stream of consciousness, so forgive any goofs. Simply relax your mind and read the following easily (if a sentence immediately makes sense, fine, if not, just keep lightly reading):

What you have been seeking is literally and exactly That which is reading this page right now. That Self cannot be found because it was never lost: you have always known you were you. That I AMness is a constant condition of all that arises, is the space in which it all arises, has nothing outside of it and thus is complete Peace, and radiates its own beauty in all directions. Sophia arises in the space of that I AMness, Sophia arises in this vast spaciousness, this pure openness. Sophia is an object, just like a tree or a cloud that arises in the space of the Self that you are. I am not talking to Sophia right now, I am talking to you. That which is aware of Sophia is this ever-present Self. This Self is aware of Sophia arising right now. This Self is God. God is reading this page. Sophia is not reading this page, God is reading this page. The Self is aware of Sophia and aware of this page. You are not Sophia. You are what is aware of Sophia. What is aware of Sophia is an I AMness that itself cannot be seen but only felt, felt as an absolute certainty, unshakeable is-ness, I AM that I AM eternally, timelessly, unendingly. There is only this I AMness in all directions. Everything arises spontaneously in the space of this great perfection that is the Self, which is reading this page right now.

And you, Sophia, are that Self. You have always known that you are this Self. There was never a time that you did not know that you are you. You can never remember a time when you were not you. The only thing you can ever remember is something that this Self did. There is only this Self. You cannot reach out for it because it is that which is doing the reaching. You cannot see it because it is doing the seeing right now, which means, everything simply arises in its awareness: the entire world arises in your awareness right now. You are that space in which it is all spontaneously and effortlessly arising. You are that One. You have always been that One. There is only that One. Do not pretend you are finding that One. Do not pretend you have forgotten that One. The only thing you have ever known, the only thing you can ever remember, the only thing you are actually feeling right now is that One: the is-ness, now-ness, suchness of everything, just as it is, and as it is arising within your Self—the simple feeling of Being, which is all you ever feel always.

Look at the clouds: they are arising in your awareness: they are arising in you. The clouds are outside of Sophia but inside of your Self. Look at your body and this room. Your body is in this room, but both the body and the room arise IN your awareness. You are literally holding them in your consciousness lovingly. The mountains are arising in your awareness: they are arising in you, and you are lovingly holding the mountains within your consciousness, holding the arising world within your embrace as the dearly radiant beloved. The mountains are arising outside of Sophia but inside of your Self. The clouds, the mountains, and Sophia are all simultaneously and effortlessly arising in this Self, the reader of this page. All that is arising is arising in this unshakeable I AMness, which is not a thing or an object or a person, but the openness or clearing in which all things and all objects and all persons are arising. This emptiness, this openness, this vast spaciousness is your Self, is what you have always been, is what you are before your parents were born, is what you are before the Big Bang happened. Before Abraham was, I AM. There is no before and no after for this now-ness that is the Self. There is only this now-ness of the Self that is reading this page in this very moment. There is no past and no future in this never-ending now. All befores and all afters arise in this awareness. There is only this ever-present, never-starting, never-ending, unborn, undying, radiant beauty that is aware of this page, that is aware of this universe, and that finds all of them IN the space that it is, and therefore all things arise in the unshakeable Peace that holds them all easily in its caring within. Sophia is in the universe; the universe is in your Self.

Therefore, be this ever-present Self who is reading this page. I am not talking to Sophia, I am talking to you. Let Sophia arise and fall like all objects. Let Sophia come into being, remain a bit, and pass: what has this to do with your Self? All objects arise, remain, and pass in the spaciousness and emptiness that is aware of this moment, and this moment, and this moment, and this moment. Yet this moment has no end, you have never actually felt the present come to an end because it never does: it is the only thing that is real: this now-ness, this simple feeling of being, the very same feeling-awareness in which this page floats, and in which Sophia floats, and in which the clouds float. When you feel this present now-ness, there is nothing outside of it—you cannot see on the outside of this timeless now because there is nothing outside of it. Now and now and now is all you ever know, and this now-ness is simply another name for the spacious Self in which the entire kosmos arises as a radiant, joyful, ecstatic swoon of bliss and a desire to share this infinite Joy with somebody else.

Because this page and the mountains and the clouds all arise in your awareness, there is nothing outside your Self. That there is literally nothing outside your Self means there is literally nothing that can threaten it. Since you know this Self, you know Peace. Because you are already, directly, immediately, and intimately one and identical with That which is reading this page right now, you know God right now, directly and immediately and unmistakably and undeniably. And because you know God right now, as the very Self reading this page, you know you are finally, truly, deeply home, a home that you have always directly known and always pretended you didn't.

Therefore, pretend no more. Confess that you are God. Confess that you are Beauty. Confess that you are the very Truth the sages have sought for centuries. Confess that you are Peace beyond understanding. Confess that you are so ecstatically happy that you had to manifest this entire world just to bear witness to a radiant beauty you could no longer contain only in and for yourself. Confess that the Witness of this page, the Self of this and all the worlds, is the one and only true Spirit that looks through all eyes and hears with all ears and reaches out in love and compassion to embrace the very beings that it created itself in an eternal ecstatic dance that is the secret of all secrets. And confess that you are Alone, that you are literally the only One in the entire universe: there are no others to this One. There are indeed others to Sophia, but both Sophia and the others arise in the awareness that is reading this page, and this awareness, this Self, has no other because all others arise in it. One without a second is what is reading this page.

Therefore, be that One. And also give my love to Sophia.

Ken

p.s. Do you realize, deeply, deeply, deeply, that the one who is reading this page is the one who wrote it, yes? Sophia, and Ken, and this page, all arise in the Witness of this page, yes? The Self is not hard to find, but impossible to escape. So drop all this fuss about finding and losing, and simply be the One in whom all worlds are now arising. So go outside and look at the beautiful world arising within your very own feeling-awareness, arising within your very own Being, and then, you know, go have a beer or something....

29 comments:

Alexys Fairfield said...

Sophia,
That's a very empowering letter. Hopefully it will lead you to discover everything in your "youniverse."

Sophia said...

Alexys,

If I had read this letter a year or two ago, I would have tossed it aside as mere jibberish, because back then I was looking for something else, like mystical lights and sounds and spirits and happy bunny foo-foo stuff. This is why I think the journey is necessary. This is why I think that teachers are necessary. Because this journey and these teachers have led me this far, to a place that I feel in my heart is true. Had I not encountered things like this on the path, I would still be lost somewhere on a side-path, reading tarot cards and trying to energize crystals. :) Now, don't get me wrong, these are things that I think have merit, and they are possibly things I will explore, but only after I have experienced the awakening experience.

Jim said...

Not bad, good, I would say it like this, 'Light' is Space and you are in it.

And that Light/Space that is the super-awareness that surpasses body-world-consciousness, is common to us all. Only thing is that we are all different quantities/qualities of that 'Light' by virtue of our choosing but also by virtue of our needs at any one time. Growth/evolution within it and as it, does take place for each of us, and this does surpass 'death' as we know death, you continue being this Light and you rise up in it as you learn to identify with it. G-d is the whole of it, you are not that, but some of that, and you are in communication with the whole of it as you learn to be, you can identify with G-d.

Anyway, very interesting stuff Sophia, thanks for the pleasure of the letter and info.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but this reminds me of brainwashing.
I don't let anybody especially KW tell me what to believe. I have my own beliefs.
I believe in nothing. I am nothing. That is my belief.
I am me. I am false. But that's ok with me.

Anonymous said...

I don't sign blank checks.

Anonymous said...

Well, that's the other side of the check. ;)

Anonymous said...

Of course I believe in that. But I am not that.
I am not that enlightened.

Anonymous said...

A girl after my own heart

I am almost late
my hair is still wet
and its all over my face.
One bright woman looks at me
like I'm from another space.
No, I don't have time to flirt,
besides I don't know if she's ok.
The girl across me has something
ethnic about her besides her skin;
she knows she's a pretty thing
and keeps posing with her face.
For awhile I don't know
who I am so I look around.
Everyone has to introduce himself,
one by one until it is my turn.
Finally I try to say something
and suddenly they all start
to make their comments at once.
But that's fine with me;
I like this company; they all
have something that don't fit.
They are not pretending yet;
they all have some problems.
There's always something wrong
when they speak or write
that keeps them from succeeding.
I love the way the teacher speaks;
there's something about her speech
that relaxes me and makes me sit.
Perhaps it's her nice precision,
just something I lack and need;
that's the reason I am here.
My oral dutch is not so bad
but my english gets in the way
(I've been a fan of harry;
I've always loved his cockney).
There's this turkish boy
who was born here locally;
his accent is nothing but foreign
but his usage isn't standard.
It is a bit too dialect-ic
he grew up here, you know.
I sense he doesn't like me;
I'm just too nice and pretty.
The girl across me likes me, tho.
she keeps looking away from me.
I like her too, hoping
she's just like me.

Anonymous said...

"It takes courage to stand up, stand out or stand alone.

Likewise, it takes courage to sit down, sit it out, sit alone."

-- copyrighted

Anonymous said...

I love this, thanks for sharing!

Sophia said...

Jim,

Thank you for offering your viewpoint on this. I do not know whether we all have varying quantities of this, but in my own opinion I think we all are the same, no difference in quantity or quality, it's just that many can't see it, or aren't aware of what they are. So, in varying degrees people either see it or don't see it.

Good people and bad people, for instance, have the same amount of Spirit - or as you call it, "Light" - and I think the reason for a lot of the evil that's done in this world is a result of the ignorance of some to their true nature.

Blessings to you, my friend. Always glad to see you. :)

Sophia said...

Anonymous,

I don't see it as brainwashing. It's possible that, if you have been subjected to brainwashing in the past, you may be more sensitive to these things. And as I know you have in the past belonged to a cult. Brainwashing is the act of trying to instill certain beliefs in people, sometimes even against their own beliefs or will. The reason I don't see this as brainwashing, is because I already believed what Ken talks about before I even read it. It just enhanced my experience of my beliefs.

If you know that you are nothing and that you are false, then already you have begun the process of tearing down the ego.

Yes, you are you, and that's OK with me, too. :)

I used to say that I am not enlightened, but I think I'm going to change that to, "I am not awake... yet."

Sophia said...

Sigurd,

I think you're a natural at this journaling thing. I hope you save this on your own hard drive, too, so that you have a copy of it.

This part I especially liked: "For awhile I don't know who I am so I look around." Seems I've been there myself for quite a while... years even, and here I am looking around to figure out the answer. This journaling might help you figure out who you are, too.

Sophia said...

Anonymous,

Nice creative quote. Keep it up and we'll be seeing you in books and magazines. :)

Sophia said...

Mark,

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sophia,
You just killed me. But that's ok. I can take it. It is isn't the real thing yet.

Sophia said...

Anonymous,

I can't kill your ego. Only you can kill your ego. :)

Listen to me, talking like I'm some sort of teacher or something. Ha!

Anonymous said...

I'm dead! ;(

Sophia said...

Who's "I'm"?

Anonymous said...

Dead!!!

Sophia said...

"I'm" is dead? Everywhere I look, it seems that "I'm" is very much alive. Perhaps you are dead.

Anonymous said...

Mortis via asphyxia!!!
He died from laughing.

Sophia said...

Don't make me do CPR.

Anonymous said...

RIP...zzz

Unknown said...

Pure awareness is always present. Yet there is change and so we contemplate the balance between change and awareness. I have started an exercise with some friends to focus on meditating together at a distance. Anyone can join as it is a healing meditation for the earth and its spirit. So far it has produced some interesting results. Your journey is not alone. There are many fellow travelers.

Joe B said...

My BS detector blinks red with Ken Wilber.

I find him to be fascinating and capitvating, but my BS detector tells me he is in it for vanity and the money.

Having watched some of his videos, I get the feeling he is really full of himself. I guess that comes from being a famous and well to do academician.

I will credit him with providing some of my current push to get back in shape. One of his tenants is that you must be in top physical condition to really understand what the human condition is about. I'll see, since it is something I've been wanting to do anyway. I started 2 weeks ago and feel better for it. Can't say I'm any more or less spiritual, however.

Anonymous said...

I guess I've been to hard on Ken W. I've listened to some of the interviews he gave. And he is really not a bad guy. He is actually funny. But he tries very hard to live the enlightenment and boddhisattva ideal, if I am not mistaken. And that makes him very vulnerable to criticisms and attacks by people who think they know better. (Myself, being one of them. I'm not a public figure; in fact I see myself as a pseudo-intellectual. Actually intellectually I am quite retarded.) And he made some statements and declarations that seem to be based on traditions and beliefs. Not that this is incorrect or wrong. But he had made some public statements, declarations and endorsements that are now very embarrassing for him. I won't mention any of these. Because perhaps I am misinformed.
I don't like many of these guys who are very popular because I tend to be an antiguru, whatever that means. It's probably because of all these things I hear about them.
Well, it's not really easy to attract attention and not suffer the consequences.

kaushik said...

Sophia: The more I explore your blog the more I find synergies.

In my previous company we were helping Ken Wilber set up, what is called, the Integral Universities (www.integraluniversity.org).

Though I have not read his works extensively but it is beyond doubt that he is one of the most foremost thinkers of our times.

For a start as a beginner to his work one of the best books you can read of his is Grace and Grit.

It traces 5 years of his married life when he gets engaged to his wife, discovers that she has breast cancer and lead up to her eventual death.

It is rivetting tale interspersed with spirituality about how a couple faces the odds.

The circumstances are extraordinary and it strains their relationship. But its a human tale of inhuman courage, fortitude and calm acceptance.

Read it when you can.

Anonymous said...

How to download you-tube videos without installing a downloader and converter:

Play you-tube video.
When finished search for "get video" in the temporary internet cache.
Cut and paste to a temporary folder.
Rename to video.flv
Play using an flv player or jetaudio player.
Or convert to mp3 or mp4.
Normalize using mp3gain to increase volume, if necessary.