Saturday, October 27, 2007

Are You Conscious?

Friend and fellow blogger Mushtaq Ali from Traceless Warrior writes in his paper, "Conscious and Unconscious Behavior on the Path of Transformation", that most people are not fully conscious in the sense that they are impeded by their own unconscious habits.

"As it happens, not many people are conscious--they have stopped somewhere in the process at one of the points in the process. What is often developed instead are habits--unconscious behaviors or responses--and from this, a habitual nature is created. What this implies is that our choices are limited; our pool of responses available for any particular stimulus are smaller than is intended for a human being. The result is that people tend to be at the effect of their world rather than being the cause and creation of it."


In order to operate at a peak level and to access the higher levels, the three lower levels must be in balance. According to his paper, the three lower centers are the moving center, the heart or emotional center and the head center, some of which dominate a person's being more than others when the three are not in balance. For instance, a person whose mind is constantly in a state of internal dialogue is operating from the head center.

There are certain practices that must be done in order to access the higher centers. Mushtaq hasn't included the practices for accessing the higher heart center in the paper because they must be customized for the student by their teacher, however, a process known as "self-remembering" must be done in order to begin the opening into the higher mind center. He introduces us to a tool known as the Enneagram which, when used properly, can help balance the three lower centers.

If you are on the path of transformation - I think we all are - I highly recommend you read this paper to get a good introduction on how you can be out-of-balance due to your habits, and how you can start the process of living a harmonious life. To read the 12-page paper, click the link below.



If you enjoyed this paper, there is another related paper on the enneagram, also written by Mushtaq, found HERE.

4 comments:

SikhsRus said...

I just happen to run into your blog looking for another "enlighten me" blog. I know you are not a Sikh and may not know who Sikhs are but just wanted to let you know that the following lines on page 14 of our Guru Granth Sahib really help me focus on things when I feel lost in this crazy World. Read from page 1 or just any page at random if you like:

http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&g=1&h=1&r=1&t=1&p=0&k=0&Param=14

www.srigranth.org
www.sikhs.org
www.mrsikhnet.org

And, this is not an attempt to convert you or anything but a response to your blog about you seeking enlightenment. I don't even blog anymore!

Sophia said...

Hi Sikhsrus,

You are right, I do not really know what a Sikh is, although I have heard about them before. I am very willing to learn about them, though! Thanks for posting the links. I will explore them.

BatmanTempest said...

Hullo Sophia

A Shikh is the title and name called to an adherent of Sikhism. The word means "disciple" or "learner". Many male Sikhs can easily be recognized by their turbans, beards, or steel bracelets on their right wrists.

Their followers, with their turban and uncut hair, are proud and definitely distinct; yet show respect to the followers of other religions. Non-Sikhs can partake fully in Sikh prayer meetings and social functions. Their daily prayers include the well being of whole mankind.

The concept of saint-soldier is another unique feature which sometimes confuses observers. Every Sikh is required to aspire to sainthood by his devotion to God and service to mankind, but also, according to the situation, to adopt the role of the soldier.

Numbering approximately 23 million worldwide, Sikhs make up 0.39%[32] of the world population of which approximately 83% live in India. Of the Indian Sikh community 14.6 million, i.e. 76% of all Indian Sikhs, live in the northern Indian State of Punjab (India), where they form a majority 59.9% of the population.

Here is a picture of a Sikh couple.

... I am curious Sophia, in your path to enlightenment what are some of your challenges in society? As you watch the news or learn more of our culture, our war, our government... does any of this cause you to sit and contemplate the injustices that are around us?

Sophia said...

Hi Batmantempest,

I am sorry that it has taken me three days to respond to your comment.

Thank you for the description and link

Is the Shikh a disciple or learner of the Guru Granth Sahib, or of a live Guru/teacher, or of God?

I think I share a common bond with many people in that my challenges in society are the same challenges for other people. The biggest challenge for me is to live in a country that has started a war. I feel like there is nothing I can do about it except quietly be disappointed. I feel unpatriotic sometimes. I have this fantasy that the world can be one nation without a need for war. I am also disappointed in people, some even in my own family, who are afraid of differences between themselves and people of other cultures or skin color. I get frustrated because not everyone feels the way I do, that all the people are beautiful people. I also don't understand why some people neglect their pets, or harm other living creatures. I am willing to bet that everyone who visits this blog feels the same way, because we all seem to have so many similarities. Maybe I shouldn't speak for them, but we have a lot in common.